Please consider that it is the intention of this award to ensure that the South African Wine Tourism industry advances its offering and competitiveness. It is important that we address transformation within this sector. Transformation poses an entry barrier but it also represents an opportunity that must be mined in order to bring tourism development to its full potential. South Africa, in different sectors, is experiencing a very slow rate of transformation, this therefore should be a high priority for Wine Tourism.
Judging points that should be considered include:
- Inclusion of previously disadvantaged individuals at all levels of this sector, especially at management and ownership levels
- Enterprise and supplier development in procurement strategies
- Management control
- Skills development and mentorship
- Socio economic development
- Inclusion of youth, women and disabled individuals
- New and innovative approaches to further enhance and promote transformation within Wine Tourism
- Leveraging existing programmes to result in effective achievement of transformation
- Generation of economic benefits for local people, the enhancement of the well-being of host communities, improvement of working conditions and access to the Wine Tourism industry
- Involvement of local people in decisions that affect their lives and life opportunities
- Provision of enjoyable experiences for tourists through meaningful connections with local people and a greater understanding of local cultural and social issues
- Is the business culturally sensitive, does it engender respect between tourists and hosts and does it build local pride and confidence?